Saturday, September 18, 2010

Concrete progress

Today the concrete got poured for the power/pump house. I thought it would get done a week and a half ago but I'm pretty sure the guy I talked to about it was kinda...... drunk....... and kinda....... forgot.

SO, Thursday I called and ordered my 9 yards of concrete for this (Saturday) morning. They got here a bit after 9, and the driver was the bomb. He handled the truck and the concrete wonderfully.

Roger showed up to give us a hand and a darn good thing. Turned out every one else was a bit busy this weekend :D. SO we put the Southwest Concrete guy in the truck, Crystal on the chute, and Roger on one end of the scree 2X4. I took the other end, directed the driver, and shoveled concrete from one spot to the next. It didn't take too much shoveling since both Crystal and the driver guy were very good, attentive and careful.

I had gone through and framed up the power/pump house, the pad for the propane tank and hand dug 14 post holes for deck posts before the truck got here. The danged post hole digger cracked on the second hole but I speed taped it and it held together for me.

We ran outta concrete on the 1st pour for the power/pump house.

I've no idea how I underestimated that badly but I did. It wasn't too bad though. I only lacked a foot of concrete for the west end and that was just for outside storage anyway. I sloped the rock at the back and will bed dirt up against it, it'll look just fine. And I'll bring home bags to do the rest of the holes. We're doing the deck posts just so that they're settled before the ground freezes and if we feel like workin on a deck this winter we'll be able to do that. I had 6 holes left to dig after the truck left and wouldn't you know it the damned post hole digger busted on the 1st freakin hole :D

By this time Crystal had taken off to town to pick up some stuff and do another thing or two that needed done, and by the time I got to trying to get the whole 14X28 pad troweled it was starting to dry out pretty hard. Roger was spraying it and I was troweling until it got just too solid to work with. Then we covered it all with various tarps I had here to keep it from surface cracking from the sun today. (It was warm out there).

Then Roger and I sat in the shade for a bit and visited.

Following that? Well.... that's when I broke the post hole digger. Dirty bitch of a busted piece of CRAP!!!!!!!! And to tell the truth I started the day with my back hurting, then shoveled concrete and screed it, then tried to dig holes in the sun. SO I sat in my hammock for a bit, then took a shower, then Crys got home with some company.

Concrete wears me out. Must be gettin old. :D

Tomorrow I'll bust the forms off and help Crys get the board all up for tiling. Monday I'll order a pile of wood to build a shed with and call the well pump dude so he can get started.

In the last three days? $5,000. This crap is just not cheap. I'll be glad to get the necessary stuff done so we can rest. I love a challenge...... this is the part that's always hardest to walk through.

No comments:

Post a Comment