Saturday, February 24, 2018

Saturday Afternoon.


My back is healing up after Wednesday.

What happened Wednesday?

My co-worker and bud Perry and I took snowmobiles from Pinos' Creek up to Summitville Mine riding out the powerline. It was my first time ever on a snowmobile. In retrospect we discovered that the snowmobiles we'd rented were: underpowered; with too small a track. 

I got the living FUCK beat out of me. Perry, a long time snowmobiler, had very little trouble. He did mention that he'd rather ride trail than break trail. We broke trail for about 15 miles. I kept falling over, sliding off into a mess, turning over, slamming to a stop with my face buried in the snow..... basically every single newbie error that was humanly possible.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for me trying to lift the rear track out of a bad wreck/stop/slide/fuckup. My back actually emitted a loud pop. Then my legs quit and I had to lay in the snow for what felt like forever until they kinda started working again. The rest of the day consisted of lessening amounts of getting stuck, getting unstuck, dragging my agonized back up and over the machine to stomp and clear snow and ease the machine out of what ever snowy quagmire I'd gotten it into. 

Understand, when you're 10 miles from the nearest help, thrown your back out about as bad as you ever have, and you and your buddy are all you have? You reach down, drag your failing exhausted body where ever it has to go and make it work. Or you can just die. It's all of 8 degrees outside. Snow everywhere. Cold. Agony. Exhausted beyond belief. And you keep going. Because that's what construction is. You look at a job, say "that's gonna fucking hurt" and keep going. 

We made it back down. Perry helped me all he good. Good dude. My chiropractor, Polzin, says there's no permanent damage and I'll heal up. It's now Saturday afternoon. I'm feeling somewhat better. I'm moving like I'm 90. Crys is taking care of me. On to Today: 

We’re having a pretty good day. Played and lounged. Set up Crys’ new laser printer for her signing job. I found an old iPod in a drawer and we’re listening to what ever is on it in shuffle mode. Willie Nelson just followed Hammel on Trial. We went for a nice long walk in a strong cold breeze. Now we’re having some alcohol, Rich will be here a bit before 3. We’ll have pizza. Crys is making the dough now. They’ll get together on toppings. I won’t have to eat the nasty gorgonzola thank goodness 😃. We have a few windows open, it’s 28 degrees outside, the sun is streaming in the windows and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment